When looking into carpet cleaning services, there are a few things you’ll want to do to ensure that you get the right ‘guy’ for the job.
Top 10 Things to Keep in Mind
- Don’t choose a service solely based on their equipment – The service needs to use good equipment, but they also need employees who are skilled at operating that equipment.
- Make sure the carpet cleaning technicians are well trained – Check to make sure they have Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification. Ask about the certification and confirm before choosing a service.
- Don’t choose a service based solely on low price – Unscrupulous companies use low prices to bait customers, then they tell them they’ll need ‘extras’ that come with additional charges. Low prices can also indicate inferior equipment or lack of skilled carpet cleaners.
- Don’t fall for low rates on ‘single-process cleaning’ – It’s inferior, and dual-process cleaning will be required (at an additional cost, of course) to get you carpets truly clean.
- Don’t select a carpet cleaner based on one telephone call – Instead, have the cleaner out to your home and request a written quote. This way you’ll be clear about what the carpet cleaner recommends, and avoid being subject to pushy sales tactics when the tech comes to your home. This also avoids any surprise expenses due to the type of carpet, square footage or difficulty of stains.
- Don’t go with a service that doesn’t offer a money-back guarantee – Every carpet cleaner should stand behind their work with this type of offer. If the carpet isn’t cleaned to your satisfaction, you shouldn’t have to pay for it.
- Don’t settle on a carpet without finding out about their reputation among previous customers – They’ll all claim to be the best, most reliable, and cheapest, so do your due diligence and find out for yourself. Ask for references and look for reviews online to see if their reputation lives up to their promises.
- Choose a professional! – The few bucks you might save by going with a guy who happens to have a carpet cleaner as opposed to a real carpet cleaning service will usually not be worth it. You want highly trained professionals who’ve come across every kind of carpet and know how to do the job right. You also want the assurances of knowing the work is guaranteed.
- Don’t hire the first cleaning company you find online – Take the time to compare prices, reviews, how long they’ve been in business and any other relevant details. It’s worth the 15 minutes it will take to do this.
- Find out exactly what the cleaning process will entail – Learn how your personal items will be protected during the process. It’s important to know this ahead of time so there are no surprises. A professional cleaning service should offer the following:
- Vacuuming of all areas to be cleaned.
- Pre-spotting with stain remover.
- Pre-spraying of carpets to loosen dirt and stains
- Proper agitation – if required
- Steam or hot water extraction of soil and detergent
If you decide to go with a professional service, following these 10 steps is a must to ensure that your carpets are cleaned correctly and that you get everything you pay for.
If on the other hand you decide you’d rather save a bit of money by taking care of your own cleaning, there are plenty of store-bought carpet cleaners available these days that can provide high quality cleaning without the hefty price. Check out reviews on some of the best vacuum cleaners out there before making your decision.